Saturday, April 17, 2010

Ed Templeton: Drinking The Kool-Aid


About a week ago, we decided to watch the documentary Beautiful Losers over some dessert in our lovely kitchen (which doubles as our living room). I immediately fell in love with all the people who took part and the art that they were doing: the perfect movie to inspire me to start some art of my own again. If you have not seen it, you must!

The next day, my friends had randomly heard about an exhibition of one of the guys, Ed Templeton, that had just opened up in London. They had gone that day and even seen Ed leaving the gallery space (pretty cool!) I knew I had to go and see the gallery. Photography is a huge interest of mine, and the gallery (both the art AND the space itself) didn't let me down.


Focused on skateboarding life and culture, Ed Templeton photographs a variety of subjects, from his wife to young kids who have an interest in skating. His photographs are incredibly personal and quite frequently sexually driven. All of them are telling some sort of story, whether it's a 17 year old boy who has a limited future in front of him or an intimate moment with his wife.


One of my favorite things about Ed's photographs is the little handwritten inscription he gives all of them. They usually state where it was taken and the subject and sometimes even tells the story of the subject itself.


The curation of the exhibit was fantastic. Photo montages were grouped together on the walls enclosed in wooden frames. The white walls seemed to fade away amongst the art, which all spoke loudly to the eye.

Elms Lester Painting Rooms, London WC2
Gallery is open until April 17th.

all photos by me

0 comments: